Wednesday, July 9, 2008

I Know This Is Morbid, But THINK About It

If you died today, how would you want to be remembered? Have you considered your funeral arrangements? Do you have a life insurance policy? Do you have a will?

I have been pondering these questions with the deaths of my friends. I need a will. I need to purchase life insurance and I want to tell my husband where to bury my ashes in my Chock-Full-O-Nuts Can. Do you even HAVE a Bucket List?

But seriously...it's time for me to be a grown up and make these plans. I don't have any kids yet, but I do have a husband and a mortgage and it would be nice to make sure he is taken care of if something mortally unfortunate happens to me.

I've reached another oh-so-awful milestone in my life where more things on my body have started hurting and I'm feeling my own mortality. I have passed the point (just this year in fact) where I have cannot eat after 9 pm without dire consequences. I wake up with wicked, and I mean WICKED heartburn/indigestion etc. if I eat late at night.

But I digress...

I want a will so Uncle Sam doesn't get my assets. I want life insurance so that if something happens to me, Jeff won't lose the house, and I want to tell my loving husband how I would prefer things go after I die so that people won't be left guessing what I "would have wanted."

Do you want to be buried or cremated?
What songs do you want sung at your funeral?
What outfit do you want to be buried in?
How heavy a burden do I want to leave for my pall bearers if I do elect to be buried instead of cremated?

That got me thinking about getting serious about losing weight and about how I lack self-discipline.

I was watching the Hell's Kitchen finale with Jeff last night and these people are disciplined! We really like that show. I know it's awful, but I really live vicariously through Gordon Ramsay when he goes off on his chef's. It's just something I could never do in life because I don't have the power or the position, and it's just so wrong!

I always love the anticipation when the two finalists are behind those frosted glass doors and they have to turn the handle and see which one gets the job and the $250 Million dollar paycheck at one of Gordon's restaurants. What an amazing reward for all your hard work. I always feel a twinge of sympathy for the runner up. So close, yet no cigar.

So questions to ponder:

Do you have a Bucket List?
Do you have a will, life insurance etc.?
Do you think Gordon Ramsay has one of the best jobs in the world?

1 comment:

  1. Don't have a bucket list - and probably never will

    Do have life insurance via work and by an outside source

    Don't think Gordon has the best job in the world. He works with a lot of dumb people!!! :) That and he's always so angry.

    My will is simple. "My wife gets everything and has final decision in all aspects of my death" I'll be cremated, burials are expensive! Also, what does it matter what happens to your body once you've left it? As a believer my body will only be a shell of dead flesh. Who wants that around? lol

    ReplyDelete