Friday, November 2, 2007

"Resolved" by Jonathan Edwards

Today I give you an excerpt from a devotional called "Together for Good" by H. Norman Wright. It's a daily devotional for married couples. I think it might have been a wedding present. I pulled it off the shelf in the bathroom and took it in the tub with me this morning to read it. I'm glad I did. Here's an excerpt. It starts with a Bible verse:

"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience." Colossians 3:12

"You've probably heard of Jonathan Edwards. But have you ever read anything he wrote? Consider his words:
Resolved, That I will do whatsoever I think to be most to God's glory, and for my own good, profit and pleasure, in the whole of my duration.

Resolved, To do whatever I think to be my duty, and most for the good and advantage of mankind in general.

Resolved, Never to lose one moment of time, but improve it the most profitable way I possibly can.

Resolved, Never to do anything which I should be afraid to do if it were the last hour of my life.

Resolved, Never to do anything out of revenge.

Resolved, To maintain the strictest temperance in eating and drinking.

Resolved, Never to do anything which, if I should see in another, I should count a just occasion to despise him for, or to think any way the more meanly of him.

Resolved, To study the Scriptures so steadily, constantly and frequently, as that I may find, and plainly perceive myself to grow in the knowledge of the same.

Resolved, To ask myself at the end of every day, week, month and year, wherein I could possbily in any respect have done better.

Resolved, Never hence-forward, till I die, to act as if I were any way my own, but entirely and altogether God's.

Resolved, I will act so as I think I shall judge would have been best and most prudent when I come into the future world.

Resolved, Never to give over, nor in the least to slacken my fight with my corruptions, however unsuccessful I may be.

Resolved, After afflictions, to inquire, what I am the better for them, what good I have got by them, and what I might have got by them."

I was challenged to apply these words to my marriage, and to bootcamp. How do they apply in your life? Are you challenged by any of these resolutions? I was.

1 comment:

  1. Keep going, friend! I too am in the tween stages of 12-14, and I'm trying hard (although, not as hard as you), to get into all 12s.

    Are you FEELING better, more energized, healthier?

    ReplyDelete