Monday, July 30, 2007

Let your Yes be Yes and your No be No

I learned today, that people rely on the information you give them and that they have expectations based on what you tell them. Profound, I know...

Today, I told my boss I was going to lunch from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. today and he believed me (sarcasm/tongue in cheek). I had to wait 15 minutes for my lunch partner, so we actually left at 11:15 and got back at 12:15 so I was late getting back to my desk, even though we hadn't left campus until 11:15. (I was still technically on the clock, just away from my desk.)

The point is, my boss had been waiting to go to lunch until I got back. Truth be told, I actually got back to my desk at 12:25 pm because of a bathroom break and mailrun upon my return. I guess he was extra hungry, so he said something to me about it, asked if I had taken an extended lunch, and I said yes, and then I had to send him an explanatory email (he didn't make me, but I felt like I should). He was very polite about the whole thing, but I could tell it had annoyed him, however minutely. I would be annoyed too if I were him. I get cranky if I don't eat when I'm expecting to.

The moral of the moment is this: if you say you're going to be somewhere at a certain time, make sure you are, or make alternative arrangements and let the other party know. It's polite.

4 comments:

  1. Rigel-
    I can I just tell you how great you are!
    I miss you & am thinking of you!
    I'm glad you'll get to spend some time with your parents this weekend... I'm so fortunate to have my parents only 15 minutes away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you too Liana! Send me some pictures of you and your family with you baby and hubby!
    Love,
    Rigel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rigel-
    Have you checked out my blog?

    allinasmalltown.blogspot.com

    there are floods of pics there.

    ReplyDelete