Monday, July 2, 2007

Getting Pregnant for the Right Reasons

Are there definite right and wrong reasons to get pregnant? If so what are they? As I have talked to my husband Jeff about having kids, we ponder the acceptable circumstances for bringing a child into this world. Number one we ask ourselves, "Why?" and number two "When?"


Some possible "Why" answers:
We should have a child because:
We're getting older and we want to see what our children will look like before we die.
We want people to be around to care for us when we die.
We want the experience of having a family.
We want to follow the Biblical directive to "be fruitful and multiply."

Some possible "When" answers:
When we have enough money
When we're old enough
When we're established in our careers and settled in our house
When we're ready to stop being the babies, and to start making babies...:)

But!
How much money is enough?
The biological clock is tickin' here people...
Will I ever be "established?"

When is the right time, and how do we know we are ready to be a parents?
What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Why?
    Following Biblical directives is a good one. The experience of having a family is a good one. Can't guarantee they'll be around to take care of you when you're older.

    When?
    There will never be enough money. You will never be old enough (grown-up enough?) until after a baby arrives. It will never be a good time in terms of career or house. You will never be ready to stop being the baby - we're built to be ME people.

    I've been debating birth control in my mind. Is using birth control a lack of faith in God to decide for you when the right time is? As someone who was pregnant before marriage, I believe that God allowed Grace to happen, and has blessed us so abundantly through her. Because of my very public sin, I feel like I understood for the first time what God's grace truly is. And Matthew, well, he was one giant surprise, and I was so nervous how I would handle TWO little creatures. And again, God has provided all we've needed - sometimes it feels like money comes up from the sidewalk at just the right moment, or hand me downs arrive just before I rush out to charge undershirts on the credit card we try not to use.

    So, is the right time whenever God decides it is? Or, has He given us the knowledge of how to "protect" ourselves from pregnancy to use at our discretion?

    Jeff and I are contemplating if we want to have another, and when. There are some concerns about my sanity, and where we fit another child in our apartment, or if we can afford a bigger place. Truly, they're not the right questions. The right questions are - How many children does God want us to have? How do we serve Him through serving our children? How does God want us to go about planning? Does God think we are ready? Are we too involved in the process by even asking all these questions?

    I'll be praying about this topic for you!
    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your prayers. Thanks! And thanks for sharing with me and everyone who may read this! Love,
    Rigel

    ReplyDelete