Thursday, July 12, 2007

Keep Fighting the Good Fight


Hebrews 12:1 (New International Version)
New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
Hebrews 12

God Disciplines His Sons "1Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."


This post doesn't really have anything to do with George Bush, I just liked the fact that he was gesturing, "rock on!" to the crowd. What does the phrase "rock on" have to do with the aforementioned Bible verse? Well...perseverance of course!

My friend Greg emailed me not too long ago. He told me that I rocked. I replied with this picture of George W. Bush that I found on Google images. That's one of my favorite things to do...respond to emails with pictures I harvest from Google. It's really fun. Try it. You likie!

But back to perseverance... Merriam-Webster Online defines perseverance as: "the action or condition or an instance of persevering : STEADFASTNESS ." Keep on, keeping on.....or so the hippie quoth. Fight the good fight. Press onward...

I think of the lyrics to a song I used to sing in church in youth group days, that incredibly, just came to mind. I'm not sure I got ALL the words right, but what I can remember goes like this:

Forgetting what lies behind,
setting our hearts on the prize,
always keeping our eyes on our Lord Jesus.
We're running the race to win,
all the way till the end,
throwing off any sin that would seek to hinder us,
And we'll be faithful to our calling
'cause He is able to keep us from falling.
In His promise, we will trust,
He is faithful to finish the work He began in us.

Cool huh?! Keep on my bruthas and sistas.

No comments:

Post a Comment