Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Saying "No" to "People-pushers" and Not Feeling Guilty About It

One of the things I'm getting better at doing, but have not yet perfected, is the art of saying "No." I'm a people-pleaser by nature, but I find the older I get, the easier it is to disappoint people. I don't do it intentionally or out of spite, but I'm getting better and better at not over committing myself and at not burning my wick at both ends.

I'm getting to know my "commitment comfort zone" and while their are millions of things that are worthy of my time, I decidedly cannot be all things to all people or be in every place at once. Until the cloning process is perfected, I remain one person.

Another thing I am working to perfect is the art of "not feeling guilty when I cannot please people." Saying "no" can be followed by feelings of guilt and inadequacy. You feel like it's your fault that you can't meet the expectations of those around you. Don't. Just refuse to feel guilty. It is not your job to boost the self-esteem of those around you when they try and thrust their agendas at your feet and expect you to perform. Embrace the mantra of the anti-drug campaign of the 1990's and "Just say 'No'."

If you find yourself in a situation with a domineering person who has trouble taking "No" for an answer, you may then politely, yet firmly educate him or her about personal boundaries, and goals which you carefully guard so as to manage your time wisely and with self-respect. If they look at you like you have three heads and promptly come up with an excuse to leave your presence, congratulations, you have just bested a "people-pusher".

And while I agree that there are times when you must allow certain situations to infringe on the sovereignty of your personal space and comfort, those infringements must be the exception and not the rule, or you will find yourself, once again at the merciless feet of a people-pusher who only knows now to use, abuse and self-excuse. Hear me when I say, "Care for yourself first so that at the appointed time, you may care for others."

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the nice comment the other day. We are waiting for the workman's comp doctor to see her.

    To answer your question about will those kids get the same education? No. But I do believe a lot of the education all of those kids get will depend upon the parents and not the school.

    ReplyDelete