Thursday, May 8, 2008

Inspirational Uncle Dennis


Have you ever personally known someone that inspires you to be a better version of yourself? My Uncle Dennis just finished a half-marathon this past weekend and is already training for a full marathon for the month of June. Can you believe it?

This is a picture of him finishing his race. This guy is truly amazing! He ran the half at about an 8:35/mile pace. He runs in various weather conditions, tracks his mileage, and enjoys the effort. He is truly a runner.

Although I can't claim that title myself yet, I am inspired to really embrace the sport myself. It's a great discipline to practice and to keep one physically and mentally in shape.

I have found that once I'm out there on the trail, track or course and into my pace/groove, my mind can process things I've been pondering during the day. I can mull things over and gain a new perspective on things that threaten to overwhelm me emotionally and spiritually.

I can pray when I run and talk to the Lord. I can tell him what's on my heart. I can thank him and glorify him and he gives me peace as I empty my worries into his listening ear. I'm not worried as much about speed as I am about keeping on going and putting one foot in front of the other at a consistent jog, above the pace of walking.

I'm actually looking forward to being a better me, thanks to Uncle Dennis and his inspiring journey as a runner. I think I'll investigate the possibility of an interview with Uncle Dennis. I think he has excellent insight to share in what keeps him logging the miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment