Thursday, October 11, 2007

She was kicked out of a ladies' room

She dresses like a man, her voice sounds masculine, etc. She says "I don't want anyone to be under the misconception of me being something that I'm not." Look at her, listen to her, ask her which role she plays in her partnership with her lover, and tell me she does not want to be perceived as masculine.

Don't get me wrong... I do NOT agree with the treatment she received by the restaurant, but I do think her behavior contributed to the misunderstanding. This lawsuit is putting cultural traditions on trial. What's the next thing on the agenda? Unisex bathrooms for all so we can tactfully avoid these cases of mistaken identity in the future? How do we solve this problem?

Check it out:
She was kicked out of a ladies’ roomOct. 11: Khadijah Farmer was tossed out by a bouncer because he thought she was a man. She spoke with TODAY’s Meredith Vieira.

No comments:

Post a Comment