Monday, September 24, 2007

Tumbling Down Life's Path to Self-Discovery

To myself: "Is it just me or do my legs look veinier than usual? Great googly mooglie! They DO look veinier! When did THAT happen?"

Yes, it's true. Beauty DOES fade, and eventually you're left with a rose that has lost it's bloom. I made a discovery tonight. I was in the bathtub (don't worry folks this is rated "G" for general audiences) where I make the majority of my discoveries, and I looked down at the whiteness of my skin covering my legs.

Usually my attention is directed towards a new mole, or another role of fat I have grown that separates me from a direct view of my toes, something else caught my attention. As I looked at the stark whiteness of my thighs and calves, admiring the muscles I had begun to regrow during boot camp, suddenly, something new came into focus, my blue-green leg veins.

Normally my favorite color, I shrank in horror at the sight of it as it coursed freely like the Amazon River on a relief map. I guess they were always there, ...just never so prominently. Visions of unaffordable skin treatments, painful vericose vein surgeries and sweaty compression hosiery danced in my head. What would I do? Could I stem the tide that threatens to sweep the last petals of my beauty away in a veiny existance?

Has anyone else made this discovery? Have your leg veins come into prominence as you have gotten older, or am I alone? What's a girl to do? Veiny and in need of advice. I remain yours truly, Veinhilda.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Veinhilda,

    I'm with ya, sister! I blame these visible veins on all the modest leg-crossing I had to do when I went to a conservative school and had to wear skirts every day. It makes me feel better, anyway. It's the back of my knees, man, they're a wreck!! Dang skirts!
    I've been avoiding looking at my legs anyway, for several reasons. I haven't worn shorts in ages, so they're pasty white. Currently they're covered in mosquito bites, and because my belly is now getting in the way shaving my legs has become an olympic event that I'm just not up for lately! (the whole center of balance change doesn't make it any easier)

    Here's to you, me, and capri pants, sister!

    Love ya,
    Beeker

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an excellent point Beeker. Capri pants DO make excellent camoflage.

    I enjoyed reading your story about the squatty potty from your newsletter. Referring to your illustration above, picturing you preggers and trying to shave your legs (your Olympic event) is pretty amusing in itself.

    Thank you for contributing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When i was younger, i used to call them very close veins. Vericose/very close! Same difference.

    Um...i can some of the veins between my feet and my ankles? Can't help you much more than that!

    _rich

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, for me it's stretch marks. As in I developed these stretch marks that I couldn't see while I was pregnant, and then, they were just there!

    What's a girl to do? Grin and bear it, I think. It's only skin deep.

    (Of course, it helps to find ear hairs or something on your husband!)

    ReplyDelete