Monday, September 10, 2007

As a Christian, Is it Ever OK to Complain?


As a Christian, is it ever OK to complain? Help me out here people. I just had a bad experience at a restaurant (that will remain nameless, but whose name rhymes with "Crapplebees") and I want to complain so badly. Ordinarily I cringe to complain at restaurants or to send something back because #1 I'm afraid they'll spit in my food and then feed it to me with a smile, or #2. Once I've had a bad experience, why would I ever go back? or #3. I don't want to ruin my "Christian witness."

Here's my beef. I just started a new diet and exercise program. I don't go out to eat too often at a mid-level restaurant, and when I do spend money ($10.99) I would like the food and service to be good. I ordered a Weight-Watchers meal at a local restaurant and it came to the table with the veggies drenched in butter. I have ordered this selection before and the veggies came sans butter or with way less butter.

I mentioned this to the waitress, and asked if she could bring me veggies without butter on them intimating I wasn't expecting butter laden vegetables. She said she would check. She came back shortly thereafter without new veggies and told me that she couldn't do anything about it, no apology. I waited expectantly for her to offer a substitution or to offer to take something off my bill but there was nothing. I just paid $10.99 for tap water with lemon, a piece of fish and some rice pilaf. Dang.

It's a fact of life that if people know that you are a Christian and then you make a public display of affliction, you are misrepresenting Christ. Do I have to put up with bad service indefinitely, and turn the other cheek for all eternity, or is there a right way to deal with this situation? What would you do?

2 comments:

  1. Dude, I would have asked to speak the manager! As a Christian, when treated unfairly, you get to complain. The witness comes in the WAY you complain. You stay calm. You stick to facts. You don't act in an insulting manner. I constantly remind myself and Jeff - we're supposed to speak the truth in love.

    The truth is - Weight Watchers entrees shouldn't come drenched in butter. The love comes from offering forgiveness and being respectful. And, not holding a grudge.

    Rigel - I love reading your blog! I love that you are constantly thinking about your walk with Christ, and you inspire me to think more deeply about mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciated this advice. I struggle to know when to say something. Your comments remind me that it's the WAY you say something that makes the difference and provides a witness. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete