Monday, September 24, 2007

Discipline

Our bootcamp homework is to define the word "discipline." We are currently pounding through "Discipline Week." First there was "P.T. Week" (physical training), then "Motivation Week" and now, the big "D."

It's rough. Let me tell yah. I'm hunched over my keyboard this morning, willing my fingers to type...because they are the only parts of my body that can move. It's not quite that bad, but, I'm tired and I worked hard today. I'm still very much out of shape. I compare myself to others in the class and I can see I still have so far to go. One step at a time right?

So "discipline"! The first word that comes to mind when I think of discipline is "correction." By that definition "self-discipline" would equal "self-correction." That's what Dr. Drill is always telling us to do, "Correct yourselves!" he'll yell. He's decided to dub me, "Squatting Schoonover!" And not for a good reason. I still have a hard time squatting down to 90 degrees and holding it for the alloted time. Practice makes perfect. I guess I'll just have to discipline myself.
Discipline: to condition oneself or someone to adopt a particular pattern of behavior. To self-disciple is to train yourself. I like what Wikipedia says: "Self-disciple refers to the training that one gives one's self to accomplish a certain task or to adopt a particular pattern of behaviour, even though one would really rather be doing something else. Thus, self-discipline is the assertion of willpower over more base desires, and is usually understood to be a synonym of 'self control'. Self-discipline is to some extent a substitute for motivation, when one uses reason to determine a best course of action that opposes one's desires."

In what areas of your life are you striving to attain discipline? For me it's study habits, physical fitness and eating habits, and a clean house and tidy yard.

2 comments:

  1. Eating habits is definitely at the top of my list. Exercising patience is up there. And relying on the Lord and being content with what I have. I have to admit, I haven't put a lot of work in attaining these goals lately.

    Keep at it, girlfriend! You're inspiring to the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear. Your post came just at the time a friend brought me a bag of candy corn from the States (real Brach's Made-With-Honey candy corn - haven't had any in a year and a half!!). Needless to say, I experienced a total loss of self-control. Argh. And I'd been doing so well cutting back on my sugar intake!

    I have had some motivation lately to control my eating habits - these days any time I eat too much of something good, I pay in heartburn. Why is it that disasters like heartburn strike only with the good foods - fried food, sweets, Texas Pete Buffalo Sauce, etc. - and never things like vegetables? "They" say this will go away after I deliver the baby. But perhaps after 9 months I'll have gained a few habits of self-control in my eating. Ya never know!

    Beeker

    ReplyDelete