Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Taking "Insert Name Here" to the Mattresses


Have you ever had a time in your life when you've had to take someone to the mattresses? I'm not talking about bedding some wench from the Renaissance Fair. I'm talking about making a business decision that has the potential to offend other people; people that it's politically incorrect to offend. But it's not personal, it's business...like in the movie The Godfather. Think Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan and Robert Duvall.

Take when I finally grew a pair and introduced myself to the rest of my Research Design class as someone who was interested in working with people who wanted to work hard and get this project done. My professor cut in and iterated she thought at the Masters level all students were interested in working hard.

I silently disagreed. I could have played my hand differently. I could have stood around like everyone else did, like a middle school kid at a dance, looking at my feet, afraid to speak up and ask that attractive someone, strike that, anyone to dance. But I didn't.

The long and short of it is, I ended up with two excellent research partners because I had a sound idea to seek out like-minded individuals and I was rewarded for my efforts. Just think, if I hadn't said anything, I could have ended up with some milk-sop research partners on whom I would have had to install lo-jack just to track them down to make an appointment to go over our project plans. (I've heard the groans of others who didn't grow a pair in time to do them any good).

So take it from me. There comes a time in every man or woman's life when they have to say "Screw the party line... I'm going to stand up for myself and let my voice be heard." Because you can do it, and no one has to get hurt. No blood and guts...maybe a few tears, but that's it.

Don't be afraid to take'em to the mattresses. It's not personal. It's business.

2 comments:

  1. Nicely done, Rigel! An attitude like that makes for a good teacher too. Maybe not a good "someone interested in someday being a Superintendent", but a great teacher nonetheless. Here's to acing that project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you girl!! I hope your project turns out great.

    ReplyDelete