Thursday, October 30, 2008

Can't We All Just Get Along?

All people should have a choice to believe as they will, even if we don't always share the same beliefs. That's why I get along with so many different kinds of people and why I love them so much. Diversity is beautiful!

I haven't voted yet (because PA is not an "early voter" state), but there are things that appeal to me about BOTH candidates. Obama is definitely the more personable candidate with a wider appeal to most Americans. In many ways I identify with so many of his stands on different issues.

I think all American citizens deserve health care and that there need to be reforms to educational policies like No Child Left Behind, though I honestly don't know if he's taken a stance on it yet (if you know, let me know, will yah?). I don't think we should have gotten into a war in Iraq, trying to change a culture's way of life with billions of dollars will not work overnight or otherwise...it truly seems like another Vietnam. But then I think about all the good things that have come out of the war...was it worth it? I suppose it depends on who you ask, an American taxpayer or a person who was freed from the tyranny of Saddam Hussein.

Abortion and Gay Rights are two VERY divisive issues. Where to begin?

People that are decidedly gay or hetero, may create or experience serious conflict with one another. When people discuss issues/beliefs that are foundational to their sense of self, basic human rights and well being, things can heat up quickly, especially when one is intimately connected to people of differing lifestyles. That's probably why you're not supposed to discuss religion or politics in front of mixed company.

Some people genuinely believe that the heterosexual lifestyle is the only morally/biblically/ethically acceptable way of life while others believe that living out your life with your natural, even god-given sexual orientation (be it gay or straight) is right and that the opposing mentality is bigoted, antiquated and/or prejudicial. There may even be a few people who thing straight people are the ones that have it entirely wrong, I don't know. :) I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.

My belief is that our sexual lifestyle is a choice, regardless of our preference or inclination. I also believe that the heterosexual lifestyle within the marriage covenant is the only one (other than celibacy) that is pleasing to God (per the Bible). We all sin and do things that displease God. No one is without sin so we should leave God to do the judging, and love each other in the mean time. If we don't hold the same beliefs, we can share our beliefs with one another but God is the only judge we all have to answer to. Discussions on religion and politics are the two fastest ways to start a feud. It is not my intention to persuade, only to express my own beliefs on a couple of very sensitive/hot topic issues.

With regard to abortion...My belief is that babies that are "unwanted" should be allowed to be born and then adopted, even in horrible cases like rape or incest. Life begins at conception. As a woman who wants a child and hasn't been able to conceive, I can say that if my life were ever in jeopardy when I was pregnant, I don't think I would want to terminate the pregnancy just to save my own life. That would be a heart wrenching decision to make, but then when it comes to the topic of abortion, a big part of this issue is "choice"...and not wanting the government to legislate that decision for a woman. It's a multifaceted issue. What is the role of government in this case? What say you?

There is a divide in people's hearts/values between nature and nurture, personal rights and government intervention...What things should be left up to personal choice and which things should the government be allowed to decide/regulate for us for the good of many? Regardless of when we believe life begins or if sexual orientation is genetic or personal choice judged or not judged by a Creator, we can all come together to respect one another if not our opinions. It's when we are willing to hear each other out, and agree to disagree that we can live more harmoniously, even if we're not in perfect agreement. However, our intention to love one another unconditionally and respect each other does not exempt us from God's mandate to live a righteous life or our need to repent of a sinful lifestyle, admitting our need for a saviour and living a life pleasing to God according to the Bible. Allow me to elucidate a smidgen.

I love people for the sake of loving people, not for the choices they make. If I didn't, my love would be conditional and dependent on spoken or unspoken stipulations. I think God loves his children unconditionally, but there is a penalty for sin because God is just. That's why he sent his son Jesus to die for us on the cross and pay the penalty for all. All we have to do is believe in the necessity of Christ's sacrifice on the cross and take him as Lord of our lives, endeavoring to live according to his word, the Bible. If we believe in Christ as savior, we are spared from spending eternity in hell (the penalty we deserve being born sinners) and we'll live eternally with the Lord in a new heaven and a new earth that is described in the Bible. If we choose to make Christ the Lord of our lives and to live righteously according to his Holy word the Bible, we'll see evidence of our efforts, what the Bible calls "fruit."

That's it, I'm off my soap box. There are entire debates that battle about the validity and relevance of scripture, about the justice and or existence of God and about other very powerful issues that speak to the question of our purpose on Earth. That's another conversation and I've already gone on long enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment