Thursday, October 9, 2008

Sparkley Times at the Schoon's


This Saturday I'm hosting another party. I like these parties. I'm a sucker for them. Well...for some of them.

Saturday night we'll be trying on Premier Designs jewelry. It should be fantastic! The house will be full of laughter and fun. That's the part I like about these parties, the female companionship and the rip roaring good times we have together. I'll take some pictures to provide you with a vicarious jewelry party experience.

Do you like to wear jewelry? Honestly, I considered it an extra expense for the longest time. Now, I think of it as frosting on the cake. It's nice, but not a necessity (for myself at least). That's one reason to have your own party, so you can earn free or discounted jewelry.

In these times of economic cut backs, we're all doing what we can to balance our budgets, and cut back on spending.

I'm working again (Praise the Lord) but Jeff and I are working for less money and without medical benefits. About one quarter of my monthly income will go to providing our health coverage each month. Dems da breaks right now.

Listen to me people. Do not allow your children to major in anything else besides a degree that will net them a professional career if financial independence from Mom and Dad is your goal. That's all I'm sayin'.

Majors that should be outlawed (if only done on their own): Art, Psychology, Communication, International Studies, Women's Studies, can you think of anymore? Do you agree or disagree?

6 comments:

  1. I once had a Philosophy prof who declared that completing his PhD made him fully qualified to serve fries with that. :)

    Seriously though, in your insurance stuff, did you look at high deductible plans? Premiums are usually a hundred or so cheaper a month and you don't get slammed on the deductible if everyone stays healthy. Been self-insuring for almost five years now, so have figured out quite a few of the tricks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Craig, if all else fails...there's always fast food work. That's true.

    We looked at high deductible plans. We may need to go that route eventually. Right now, we're still not through the child bearing years. Because of that, Jeff has dubbed me "the ticking time bomb" one-who-could-still-get-pregnant. What did you and your wife decide insurance-wise to cover pregnancy and delivery with a high deductible plan?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha, yeah well a comm major is like saying, I know how to communicate, I can do anything *L* I helps for customer service type jobs I guess.

    On a side note the health care thing sucks, I'm sorry for you. It's really expensive.

    And I quit my job on Tuesday, so yeah fun times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sociology and Religious Studies come to mind but you might check with Beth about that! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. English.

    That doesn't get you much. My brother did that. Not English Education or English Literature. Nope. He got an English degree. He works in a hospital as an orderly. It's not a bad job, but he would much rather be editing or writing, but can't seem to get a job doing that.

    Are you doing the COBRA thing for insurance at this point?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, I could argue with ya about the International Studies degree- it certainly could be useful for a lot of entry level positions (at least in NYC or DC), but if you want to progress career-wise you'll need a graduate degree of some sort eventually. As for Women's Studies, I think the same thing applies- actually, Ms. Magazine had a list of 101 things you could do with a Women's Studies major a while back, so there ya go. But I will heartily second other degrees mentioned- and add one of my own. Art History. Unless you are IMMEDIATELY going into grad school, just skip this one. I had one college friend who burned out in the Biology major, and decided to switch junior year into an art major. Last I heard, she worked at Sheetz. Bet she wishes she had sucked it up and taken Organic Chemistry with me.

    Sorry about all of the struggles- and I hear ya on the health care costs. Stupid expensive health insurance. Hmmm, maybe when Obama becomes President we'll actually get universal health coverage :)

    ReplyDelete