Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Making a Connection


It doesn't happen everyday, in every lesson, but I figure the longer I do this, the better I'll get at it.

I'm talking about making a connection with my students. I'm talking about watching the light bulb go off in their heads and on their faces. It's an awesome sight when they really grasp a concept you're teaching them and it feels good to know that they now know what they know because of you.

Today was 2nd Picture Day. Kind of like 2nd breakfast, kinda unnecessary (unless you're a hobbit) but fun and interesting to experience none-the-less, if for nothing else than for the free comb.

We were leaving the gym after getting pictures taken and there were some volunteer moms there working the table where the kids go for last minute touch ups to their hair. It also happened to be the table where they hand out the free combs to the kids. You know the kind. Like the one that Fonzarelli carried in his back pocket.

I noticed some of my kids were in the process of going back over to get a comb before they left and didn't have an opportunity to get one before it was time to depart, so on my way out I went up to the table and asked the mom, and the general photo staff within earshot if I could have two of them. The mom told me "Well we don't really have enough" just as the photographer was telling me to "Take five!" So after an awkward moment they got on the same page I was able to leave them with my thanks and me with two combs and I was able to give them to the boys as a souvenir when we got back to the room.

Something that little, made their day. That, and having their teacher go out of her way to do something nice and unexpected, just for them. It was just as great as the "Ah hah!" light bulb face.

Lessons learned:
The hard work of student teaching pays off.
You never know unless you ask the right person.
It's worth it to go out of your way to make other people's day.

No comments:

Post a Comment