Friday, March 20, 2009

I Need a Personal Timing Device or at the Very Least, a Lasso


You mean a watch?

I mean a watch or a kitchen timer or something that will alert me when I need to move on to the next thing I'm supposed to be doing. Sometimes I find that I become so engrossed in helping a student with a math problem that I forget it's time to start the day with everyone else. Ah! Time management issues!

Trying to keep the lesson moving and keeping everyone engaged is a challenge because you don't want to leave anyone behind, but you can't hold up the entire class to rope the stragglers. My Co-op has been very helpful in helping me to learn how to keep the group moving, allowing the more accelerated students to keep working, while permitting me to assist the struggling ones on the side. She's shown me how to teach the lesson, explain the work the class should continue to do, and allow the rabbits to move on, while creating a small group to work with the tortoises. Tricks of the trade!

Mindful of my policy to "leave no student behind" I can then take the opportunity to pull some kids aside and perhaps present the material again, or in a different way to help them to understand the concept being taught that day. Most of the time, they'll get it, but sometimes they don't, and you can't expect all of them to get everything that day. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

And some of them STILL just might not get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment