Thursday, September 18, 2008

Trouble Concentrating


I'm being distracted by Daytime TV, specifically Jerry Springer and The Maury Show. I know. I know. Trash TV! Due to lack of discipline and my aversion to reading up on academic research I've got the TV on and find myself diverted from my best laid plans of doing homework.

My eyeballs automatically glaze over when I go to read an academic article. The authors take 200 words to say what they could in 20. I start to read a sentence and by the end of it, I can't understand what it means. Oi Vay! Digesting academic jargon takes time; time that I can never get back...

Sometimes I think authors compete to see how complicated they can make their papers. The more complexly worded it is, the more "academic" the article. I have to keep my eye on the prize and just think that this will be over in just over two months. Argh. Other people have survived this class...and I will too. I will never be an academic writer and probably will never pursue a doctoral degree...but I can make it through this class. I think I can...I think I can...I think I can....

Focus.

Maybe I'll take a trip to the local farmer's market and get some juicy apples...

1 comment:

  1. i saw your sister today. I almost didn't say anything, but i was pretty sure it was her. We don't live very far from each other. small world.

    ReplyDelete