Saturday, March 1, 2008

Torso Track, Brocollini, and the Main Line

What DO these things have in common you ask? Why, an ongoing visit to my friend Christi's apt. in Wayne!

Last night was one of "firsts." I drove to Wayne for the first time. Christi made me broccolini with Salisbury steak and toasted bread and I ate them for the first time (all except the toast, I can't claim to have never eaten toast). It was delicious! And she was right, water DOES taste better out of crystal. For dessert we had Girl Scout cookies and tea and sat talked for hours. But wait, back up....

When I got to her apt. she gave me the tour and told me the story of how the laundry room/entry way used to be a very small kitchen, how many roommates she has had...how she came to rent her apt. for an amazing price on the Main Line...very cool... But that's her story to tell...I want to tell you about the Torso Track she pulled out of her closet.

She had been giving me the tour of her apt. and telling me all the things we are to do this weekend. (I am here until Sunday p.m. studying for the Praxis 1 exam and to have some fun and pampering.) She had just showed me the guest room/office (we have the exact same comforters on our beds!) and we moved on to the living room/kitchen area...and she opened the closet and she said, "...and we can go for a walk, use the Torso Track or the exercise ball..." Wait. Hold up. The TORSO Track! What's that?

Christi pulls this enormous, elongated, Suzanne Sommers monstrosity out of her closet and proceeds to give me a demo. "Just three sets of 15 and you'll be feelin' it tomorrow," she said. I bet. I gave it a try.

She explained how not to bust a gut as you kneel on the knee pad, grab the handles in the track in front of you and then slowly extend your arms until you are in a prone position, feet flexed toward the ceiling, arms extended over your head, parallel to the ground. Fortunately, the resistance on the machine assists you to come back up to a kneeling position, otherwise, it would be easy to go down and then never come back up. Well maybe not NEVER...

As I mounted the machine...Christi explained how the machine works your muscles by elongating them and stretching them to help promote your posture (I can use all the help I can get in this area. In fact, as I type here at her computer, I'm slouching) and then she dropped this little jewel..."and Suzanne Sommers says she does this NAKED!" Wow. Not something I would EVER do. As sexy as it may sound, I can't picture ever wanting to put my exposed private parts THAT close to something that could potentially pinch and forcibly remove them from their preferred position. So, I played around with the resistance a bit and torso tracked as we chatted and she got dinner ready.

She had me smell the raw turkey meat she used to make the Salisbury steak. Neither of us really sure how raw meat is supposed to smell, I too, gave it a whiff and pronounced it safe for consumption. It had a "sell by" date of 2/28/2008 and it was only the next day.

I watched her move easily around her kitchen (this girl can COOK.) She plated this green, stringy-looking veggie..."Have you ever had broccolini? she asked. No. No I haven't. But it looked yummy, and it was! Apparently it conveniently comes in serving sizes for two, under plastic wrap on one of those little Styrofoam trays. It's a cross between broccoli and asparagus.

Torso Track...good. Broccolini...tasty. Hanging out with friend in her amazing apt. on the Main Line for two days, studying for a giant test...priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment