Friday, February 15, 2008

"The Sweetest Girl" by Wyclef Jean


I'm listening to a song about a girl that fell prey to the prostituion and stripping industry. It's a song by artist Wyclef Jean, and very thought provoking. It really has an interesting message about the pressures we can succomb to as a result of the circumstances in which we find ourselves.

There is alot of imagery in his song. The overt story line is about the life of a girl that is drawn into the dark world of prostitution. Alternatively, the music video of this song posted on YouTube is about the dark world of Visa trafficking. See the song lyrics here. If someone has more money or education, they get into the USA above a poorer immigrant who might then turn to illicit ways to do what they need to do. The thought that won't leave my head is that...but for the grace of God, this could be any girl I know...including me.

It's interesting how God, in his sovreignty and omniscience chooses the families we grow up in, and circumstances that shape us...nature, nurture and all that stuff. I know we have a hand in how we turn out, after all, we make the choices that shape our lives. We are ALL born in sin.

We are told in the bible that God holds the heart of the king in his hand and directs where he will go. God can also harden the hearts of people (like he did with Pharoah in the time of Moses and the Israelites). People like me don't always know how to relate to people like the girl from Jean's song. We haven't walked in her shoes, but we have sinned and struggled in sin just like "The Sweetest Girl."

How did I avoid ending up like her? I was born into priveledge.
Why did I choose differently than she? I didn't have to fight the same fight that she did.
Could I have resisted the temptation in her shoes, finding myself in her circumstances?
Did God plan for our lives to turn out so differently?

More about Wyclef Jean.

No comments:

Post a Comment