Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Skype Dot Com


This may not be a newsflash for most people, but...Have you ever tried using Skype.com? It's free (or virtually free) internet telephoney. If you have a high speed internet connection, a microphone and a webcam, you can video conference with your loved ones, anywhere in the world that has a simlar connection.

We can communicate with friends and loved ones overseas or in a different part of the country for free! I used it at my last job to communicate with business colleagues in China. Now I use it at home to talk with my parents in NY or my sister in Dansville. You can even use Skype to locate old classmates or to rekindle old friendships. You can even make yourself available to chat with total strangers, if that's your thing.

You can share files, including pictures and video clips, as well as instant message. My parents recently purchased a new computer from Dell, and I got them connected with Skype. Now my mother can see her "baby" when she wants to call me. She is lovin' it! I am also excited because now I can see my parents between visits to NY. We usually don't get up there too often, so Skype is a real blessing.

You can try it yourself. Just go to http://www.skype.com/ and download the free software. Create a UserID and password and then start searching for friends and add them to your contact list. The website will walk you through the whole process.

I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment