Sunday, February 20, 2011

A "George Stanley Banks" Moment

Perhaps I just needed a nap. Perhaps it's just the third trimester angst or the "nesting instinct" kicking into overdrive... whatever the reason, I had an interal Hot Dog/Hot Dog Buns George Stanley Banks moment this evening. Fortunately, it was after my dear husband escaped to play Magic cards again with his friends until the wee hours of the morning. I get the distinct feeling I am being purposefully avoided...

Some friends say...let him have fun! I say, if there is stuff that isn't done around the house that needs to be done, things I cannot or should not be doing by myself, then he needs to take care of business BEFORE going out to do fun things: i.e. cat litter boxes and mounds of garbage in my kitchen. Why the freak out, you ask? First, I'm finding that if I want ANYTHING to get done around here on my schedule, I just have to do it myself. And second, I'm tired of asking and getting other people's opinions about things. I have definite ideas of what I want in the nursery, but again, I'm settling because we don't have any money. I'm saving our gift cards for necessities instead of wants and it's killing me. I'm so tired of having to be practical. Unfortunately, that is where we are in life. Everything is not matching in my nursery. I like matching, or at least coordinating. We don't have everything we need yet. I plan on taking care of that myself tomorrow.


I don't know how to wash/use the cloth diapers I was given at my shower.


I haven't had a haircut/highlight in forever and my hair is long and shapeless.


And I have a RASH all over my body.


Normally I can quell this me-centric attitude with a mini-sermon about being thankful and content with what I have, or about patience, or something said to the effect that it's not all about me, but right now...it freaking IS. There I said it. :)

3 comments:

  1. Dude, I have so been there. I had no nursery, and no furniture except a crib, which was given to us used and I really didn't like it. Baby's clothes were initially kept in a three drawer plastic box on rollers. I've never had a changing table. The kids' room is still a mish-mash of acquired furniture. Sometimes it bugs me. I only get my hair cut and colored when I visit my parents b/c it's too expensive here. I also have a husband who often does not operate on my schedule. I have felt/still feel your pain.

    You'll find the info on the cloth diapers online (or use them as burp cloths). You need a lot less stuff than you think you do. It will all be okay. Stressful, but okay.

    Hang in there. I'm praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rigel- what type of cloth diapers were you given? Most cloth diapers are pretty easy to use/care for. Check out diaper junction- they have a tutorial on caring for cloth diapers. We use cloth mostly and they are fantastic and one of the best ways to save money when it comes to having a baby (or babies!)

    ~Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I cut hair :) I'm not a professional but have all the tools and do hair on a regular basis for several friends. Let me know if you're interested and I can pop on over and trim you up (and I'd be happy to do it for free!) No pressure!

    ReplyDelete