Wednesday, January 2, 2008

The Sovreignty of God

Sometimes events happen in our lives and we don't know why or understand how God can allow them to happen.

There is death in a "fallen world." When Adam and Eve sinned in the Garden of Eden, death followed. The time and method of our death is orchestrated by a just and loving God. He calls us all home each in our own time for reasons and because of circumstances often only apparent to Himself.

He is God and we are not, so we have a choice to trust in His will and to say "Let it be done," or to stay angry and bitter and to turn our backs on Him. We can also to choose not to believe in God at all.

I have trusted Him and then, at times I have also been bitter. I find myself struggling and wrestling with the reason and justification behind the circumstances of a negative event. Sometimes it is not for me to know the reason why, only to trust in God.

As a sinful human, with human emotions and limited spiritual eyesight, I like to know that a sacrifice is justified rather than to trust that it serves a divine purpose. Such a reaction is part of grief and part of being human.

Grief is a natural process following a loss. There are even stages of grief that someone can recycle through over years of grief:

Denial: “This can’t be happening to me.”
Anger: “Why is this happening? Who is to blame?”
Bargaining: “Make this not happen, and in return I will ____.”
Depression: “I’m too sad to do anything.”
Acceptance: “I’m at peace with what is going to happen/has happened.”

"There is no timetable for grief." I have learned that a new wave of grief can wash over you at different times in your life, but that you don't necessarily experience all of these stages again. We must wrestle with unbelief, anger and sadness and run the gauntlet of inevitable emotions each in our own turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment