Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Disheartening News from the Fertility Doctors

We met with a new doctor this afternoon. Strike One: I didn't like the way that he discussed things with us. He wasn't very professional, making jokes and saying inappropriate things when he should have been getting down to business.

Strike Two: The office made a mistake and copied Jeff's blood work report and putting it where mine should go. The doctor reviewed hubby's results first confirming everything we already knew, good sperm count/motility, no genetic abnormalities or diseases.

Then they moved on to mine and read the wrong blood type. I corrected him, he double checked his results and then apologized before moving on.

Strike Three: The bad news is this: the Clomid Challenge Test revealed that my egg quality might not be that great. I am within the treatable range, where they can still attempt to use my eggs in conception, but they recommend that I first get a test for endometriosis (Laparoscopy) that requires I go under general anesthesia and have more risk for infection and complications. The doctor then recommended IVF. He said we could try more Clomid, or Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH) shots with Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) but the percentages were much lower for a successful pregnancy. Having an elevated FSH level, I am also LESS likely to respond to infertility treatment.

With my elevated FSH level, I have no guarantee of when my FSH level will climb higher as my eggs get worse for wear. That is why the doc recommended IVF.

I don't want to have tons of frozen embryos. I would feel irresponsible for creating, and then freezing life. I don't want to donate them either, or give them to science. What do you have to say? The only thing I do know, is that I don't think I want this guy doing my surgery.

Additional question: Does anyone know the longterm risks and side effects for Invitro Fertilization?

3 comments:

  1. Wow sounds like you didn't have a reassuring time :( I have a couple of friends who've had IVF or discussed it because of infertility, I'll have them check out your blog if you don't mind. oxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn asked me to leave my thoughts. First off, yikes - hope you can find a new doctor that you feel comfortable with!

    Years ago when starting infertility due to damaged tubes, we skipped right to IVF. Infertility is such a strenuous and expensive process, I was happy the doctor was willing to get right down to what would work. I've had some friends who started with Clomid and IUI, and then had to move on to IVF, and the process just dragged on and was so much harder for them.

    The whole process is as mentally draining as you could imagine, I don't know how I could have survived it if we had tried for months and months on Clomid/IUI.

    The whole frozen embryo thing is tricky - obviously you can skip freezing. We had to freeze them because I got hyperstimulation and wasn't able to do an implant for several months. At this point we still have some frozen and I think we're going the research route. I wish I could donate, but I coulnd't imagine having a child out there, and I don't want to just destroy them for nothing.

    Good luck in your choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ladies,
    Thank you for your feedback! Kelly, good to have your input. I have to call them with my Day one and schedule the laproscopy.

    ReplyDelete