Monday, October 5, 2009

Full Day, 1st Grade

I took an assignment last night at a new elementary school, an older building, but closer to home. It was my first time in first grade and I met the teacher who was finishing up her lesson prep. as I arrived. She was obviously not feeling well, but she was very nice and showed me where everything was. That was nice!

She gave me a heads up about two students in my class. One of them was known by many other teachers. We'll call him Tishon. He was diagnosed with "Oppositional Defiant Disorder"

Tishon was actually absent the first part of the day, but arrived before lunch. This boy needs love, structure and discipline. He missed the first part of the day, and was out of routine, which put him off schedule and into a bad temper. He had trouble with everything, and every little thing set him off. He needs behavior therapy to learn how to deal with disappointment. Don't we all? To top it all off, his aide was not there today.

I don't know whether it was a coincidence that the two boys that had the hardest time behaving in class today, also went to after school Kids Care at the end of the school day.

My second little guy who had a hard time was Liam. I made him my helper today. He and Tishon did NOT get along and were at eachother during carpet time, and in the line. I learned to separate them quickly. Liam was very concerned with fairness, as was Tishon. They were tit for tat, those two. Two volatile commodities that I needed to keep apart or there would be inevitable fireworks. But I loved them both. I cannot tell you the amount of compassion that overflows out of me for these boys.

Lessons learned:

Ask the right kids for help

Make the attention seekers your helpers and teach them patience, discipline and self-control.

First graders love fairness and are continuing to learn about personal space and self-control.

First graders NEED routine.

"I'm standing up straight,
I'm standing up tall,
My lips are zipped and
I'm ready for the hall!"

1 comment:

  1. My brother has ODD and wow it's hard to deal with. Bless your soul!

    ReplyDelete