Thursday, October 1, 2009

A Day and a Half in a Multi-Handicapped Class

Half day 10/1, Full day 10/2/2009

Every sub assignment brings new incites and learning experiences. I have to tell you I had the best time subbing in a multi-handicapped class for a day and a half. When you're helping kids to move around, to communicate, and to eat their lunches, it's a truly humbling experience. You really learn to be thankful and to count your blessings and you learn what it is to truly serve another human being.

These kids are dependent on their teachers and their aides for many things. It was a blessing to be in that classroom, with students who needed you,and who had the biggest smiles, even if they couldn't physically tell you "good morning" without electronic aide. They continue to focus on learning cause and effect, and that pushing a button or hitting a switch is necessary to communicate the need for help, attention, or a thought to another person.

I fed a student her lunch, I "danced" with students in their wheelchairs, I read stories, and I watched "All About Me" Power Point presentations to get to know the students. We even got to watch part of Mamma Mia. It was great! The head teacher and classroom nurse change diapers.

On my first half-day there, I was called away to sub for a half-hour in an 11th grade, honors Spanish class. The difference between the general education and honors environment is almost like night and day.

Lessons learned:

I will gladly sub in a multi-handicapped classroom.

It makes all the difference in the world if a student wants to be in school or not and if there is something in it for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment