Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Gratefulness and Gratitude


Have you thanked God lately for the people he puts in your life, for the food he puts on your table or for the roof over your head? In a world where feelings of gratitude are replaced by feelings of entitlement is it any wonder that we forget to be thankful for our blessings, and instead complain bitterly of disappointment?

We compare ourselves to our neighbors....the grass is always greener, isn't it? Their car is better, HE has a Playstation, I bet THEIR roof doesn't leak... We've all made similar complaints, haven't we? Yet when we truly compare ourselves to the rest of the world we realize how wealthy we really are.

When I'm tempted to chew my husband out for something he didn't intentionally do, or because I'm feeling particularly hormonal and he isn't REALLY at fault, I have to reign myself in on occasion and TRY and think logically about how I have just behaved, and then go promptly to apologize for my beastliness.

I remind myself of my blessings in the midst of my self-centered storm. I think of the good things he does for me, or of the nice things I have, and how, really, after all, they aren't THAT bad, in fact they are GOOD and they are from the Lord.

So instead of complaining the next time you are inconvenienced, put things into a perspective of comparison that appreciates the things you DO have, instead of being critical of the things you DON'T. Put yourself in someone else's shoes, think how THEY might be feeling or what might be motivating their actions.

So, tip your waitress a little extra...
appreciate your spouse,
give God credit where credit is due
and live thankfully, one day at a time,
starting with today.

No comments:

Post a Comment