Saturday, May 1, 2010

Post-Op

It's the third day since my laproscopy and I think I can say, I'm out of the woods!  There doesn't appear to be any sign of infection in either of my incisions and I'm not suffering any long term effects from the anesthesia. I'm a bit sore and tired and I can't comfortably sit up with my pants buttoned for long periods of time, but I am on the mend. I praised God this morning for seeing me through this surgery.

In my devotions this a.m., I read Psalm 71. I was reminded that God is my rock and my refuge to whom I may always go. From my youth I have known him. He is there for us to rely upon and he comes quickly, like a loving Father when we cry out to him. I am thankful for a loving God.

The day of my surgery, my hubby and I made it down to the surgical center on time. I filled out the pre-surg paperwork and then they took me back to get changed and to get my IV started.

Jeff kept me distracted from the pain of the IV by talking to me and holding my other hand. He's so good to me. They put me on a sugar water drip to keep me hydrated and to get my blood sugar going. It burned a bit inserting it, and having it in there. The nurse did a fabulous job with my IV. I don't even have a bruise!!!! Unbelievable!

Jeff continued to hold my hand and we talked quietly until the surgeon came to explain the procedure and to sign more paperwork giving him permission to do ablation, should they find anything to ablate, like endometriosis.

Once we got to the OR, I got up no the table and spread my arms out in a cross position. It was eerily like the scene from a prison movie when they give the condemned inmate a lethal injection.

They got me strapped to and positioned on the table, making friendly chit chat as we went along. I had a nice conversation with the nurse anesthetist Jeannie. She asked me what I do, and she told me she had been a language arts teacher trying to get a job in Philly and she had gone back to school to be a NE because she couldn't find a job. Yeah, I felt like I had wasted my eduation dollars. I was saved from more wistful thoughts as the head nurse called a "time out" and everyone met over my abdomen. There they all were, politely staring and smiling at me. It felt like a football huddle and the head nurse was the quarterback. I was definitely the football.

She asked me a series of questions (name, date of birth, surgeon, procedure today etc.) and then the huddle broke, and the nurse anesthetist and anesthesiologist got to work.

This surgery was more intense than I expected. As I went under the anesthesia, a mild burning sensation crept up the back of my neck, and as I grunted a protest, the nurse anesthetist reassured me that it burned a bit. Then I was out.

Under general anesthesia, they had to use tracheal intubation to keep my airway open. I knew they were going to do this and I found out why. In my previous surgeries, the surgeons only had to work on my breast tissue (to remove benign tumors), so they didn't need to sedate me as heavily as they did for this surgery where they needed everything south of my diaphragm to be relaxed.

When I woke up in recovery, I knew where I was but it was harder than usual to get my bearings. I was really tired, and really out of it. Dizzy, oh, and nauseated! I only had the energy to open an eye at a time. I let myself go back to sleep and kept looking at the clock when I would come to again. My nurse was great. She allowed me to come around gradually and she didn't rush the process. When I told her I was nauseous, she explained that I probably would get sick from the effects of the anesthesia and why this sedation is medically necessary for the surgery. Fascinating stuff, but what I really keyed in on was the fact that I could anticipate getting sick on the way home. Sigh. She offered me something to drink and eat (gingerale and crackers). I knew I was not feeling good, when I could only sip the gingerale and nibble on a cracker. Less to vomit up later (Incidentally, I valiantly fought the nausea on the way home and only dry heaved at the front door. Then it disappated).

The doc came to talk to me in recovery before he left. He had already been out to talk to my hubby. Only two incisions were required! They went in through my naval, and I have a little incision scar below my panty line on my right side. They found some endometriosis on my left side so they removed it. This was the side that had been bothering me!!! It's affirming when medical tests confirm the presence of nagging pains. It's even better when they can explain the causes of them.

In post-op, Dr. S. told me to watch for infection, get rested and he gave me care instructions for the incisions. They sent me home with a scipt for Tylenol #3 (Tylenol with Codeine). It has a narcotic effect, so I stuck to taking the extra strength acetominophen (aka Tylenol).

I had read about the procedure in advance, so I knew to expect the gas pains, i.e. the mysterious pockets of air that travel around your belly and give you shoulder pain and chest pain, which are known side effects of having your belly inflated and of being on a vent. They gradually work themselves out in muscial ways, so I am taking it easy and having my own private, padded concerts.

I received a follow up call from the surgeon and the surgical center and I now have an appt. in 2 weeks for my post-op follow up. From there, we will have invitro fertility counseling and then I'll let you know what's next!

1 comment:

  1. you are seriously a trooper, Rige.
    Continually praying for you.

    ReplyDelete